The Russian foreign Ministry expects fair judgment of the ICC on the events of 2008 in South Ossetia


MOSCOW, October 15. Moscow hopes that the judges of the International criminal court (ICC) will make the right decision on the events of August 2008 in South Ossetia. This is stated in the commentary of the Russian foreign Ministry in connection with the appeal of the Prosecutor of the ICC Fatou Basundi for sanction of the court at the beginning of the official investigation of these events.

“Judging by the findings of the Prosecutor of the ICC, targeted killings of South Ossetians will not be the subject of an international investigation, there is doubt about the prosecution in respect of attacks on Russian peacekeeping soldiers,” he said in depodesta. “So far from reality, the interpretation of the events of August 2008 and reflecting their documents, in fact viharagala the regime of Mikhail Saakashvili is unlikely to add confidence to the office of the ICC Prosecutor”, – said the Russian foreign Ministry.

The ICC has asked the Russian Federation to South Ossetia

After the Georgian-South Ossetian conflict in 2008, Russia’s Investigative Committee opened a criminal case on charges of genocide and mass killings of Russian citizens in South Ossetia and Russian peacekeepers with the use of prohibited means and methods of warfare and the involvement of mercenaries (article 105, article 356, 359 and article 360 of the criminal code).

On 6 October the international court of justice in the Hague has requested Russia with the events in South Ossetia in 2008, said the Chairman of the Investigative Committee Alexander Bastrykin, speaking before students MGIMO.

“We tried to take our materials – and we characterized the actions of the Georgian military as war crimes in the international court of justice in the Hague. And only now – three days ago – I received a letter from the Hague, where we are asked to imagine, finally, materials”, – said Bastrykin.

At the same time, the head of the UK did not rule out that we are talking about the desire to obtain materials due to the fact that “the Georgian side presented their arguments, and there we will also start pre-loading for sure.”

Investigation of the RF IC

The head of the UK recalled that in 2008, together with the investigating team three weeks was on the scene (after the aggression by the Georgian side).

We saw terrible things. We have documented crimes, we are ready to prove us right, to require the same Saakashvili, who declared in the international search. But no one wants to hear. Why? I guess I’m afraid of truth, afraid of the facts that we find today and Ukraine, documenting their

Alexander Bastrykin

The result of the Russian investigation of the tragedy in South Ossetia in August 2008 resulted in dozens of volumes of the criminal case. “Unfortunately, the world community, showing us samples of humanistic attitude to the rule of law, ignores some of the major results of our work”, – said Bastrykin.

The events in August 2008

In the night of 7 to 8 August, Georgia had committed an armed attack on South Ossetia. Russia has risen on protection of the civilian population and our peacekeepers, enforcing peace in the region since 1992. As a result of the five-day war killed more than a thousand people, of which 72 – Russian soldiers. On 26 August 2008 Russia recognized the independence of South Ossetia.