Media: the Central Bank has asked banks to assess the impact of the introduction of Basel-3


MOSCOW, October 19.The Central Bank has asked banks to assess how the introduction of the Basel regulations from 2016 will affect their performance. Questionnaires the regulator sent last week, “Vedomosti” reports with a copy of the questionnaire. Receipt of the questionnaires was confirmed by the representatives of SMP Bank, Alfa Bank, Raiffeisen Bank, Moscow credit Bank (ICB).

Basically, the regulator is interested in indicators capital adequacy (N1, including the basic standards and basic capital is N1.1 and N1.2, and in addition, the capital adequacy ratio of the banking group – H20, including H20.1 and H20.2). The Central Bank also asked for the calculation of core capital, core capital and total based on the assets, weighted by risk and to determine the impact of changes on the magnitude of market risk. All these calculations, the banks had to do with the proposed Central Bank changes in the framework of “Basel-3”. Asked the Central Bank to evaluate and increase the risk factors for a number of assets.

This repeated questioning by a wider range of banks, which is conducted to clarify the combined effect on the banking system and individual banks on the whole package of Basel norms on the basis of positions achieved under the Regulatory Consistency Assessment Programme /Basel Committee of banking supervision/ and in the process of meeting with banks, said in response to questions from the newspaper, the Chairman of the Central Bank Vasily Pozdyshev. The impact of Basel norms will be clear after data processing.

In mid-September he assessed the impact of increased risk coefficients on loans of natural monopolies and foreign currency debt in 0.4-0.5 PP, while for individual banks to 1.14 PPT including reducing the capital requirements and the introduction of buffers is 0.7 percentage points, said Pozdyshev.

Of those banks that provided figures to the newspaper, there is no one who reduction of the standards would exceed relief in 2% of the item. In early October, the regulator announced that compensation – in parallel with the new requirements of the basic adequacy ratio and total capital of banks may be reduced to 4.5 and 8% (now 5 and 10%).

“Despite the fact that in Russia it is desirable to have a capital cushion with regard to higher economic risks, the Central Bank decided to take such indulgences, as most banks are simply nowhere to take the new capital,” – said Fitch analyst Alexander Danilov. However, partial reduction of the standards will be gradually offset by the introduction of buffers for capital conservation and countercyclical buffer.