Rosturizm has denied the information about the transfer of 1.5 billion rubles due to the cancellation of flights to Egypt


MOSCOW, November 11. The Federal Agency for tourism has refuted the information about the transfer of the government to market participants (airlines and operators) to 1.5 billion rubles of compensations due to the cancellation of flights to Egypt, said the head of the Federal tourism Agency Oleg Safonov.

“Information on the transfer of funds by the government in the amount of 1.5 billion rubles, common in the media, is absolutely untrue. I didn’t say that,” said the Minister.

Safonov explained that such a sum had been named earlier by the tour operators as possible, while for clarity, the extent of loss of travel agencies.

“This is the approximate amount paid by tour operators, airlines (for flights to Egypt until the suspended air links with this country – approx.ed.). Now the planes are paid for, flying in Egypt is empty, and that this amount (1.5 billion rubles – approx. ed.) losses. It was paid by tour operators to airlines”, – said Safonov.

State support of tour operators

As previously reported, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev instructed the government to prepare a programme of support to operators affected by the suspension of air links.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich, a lot will depend on how will be resolved the issues with tourists who want to use alternative routes and to postpone the trip, and who will require money.

“Based on these estimates, we formulate the support program, what it will be premature at the moment”, – said Deputy Prime Minister.

According to him, in support of the Russian tour operators are considered including the expansion of domestic tourism.

However, Medvedev did not rule out the assistance of travel agencies at the expense of the special Fund.