The daughter of Boris Yeltsin on the eve of the opening in Ekaterinburg the first presidential center talked about the main idea of an absolutely new for the countries of the project.
– Tatyana Borisovna, what the main conceptual message inherent in the concept of the Center?
© Pavel Smertin/TASS archive
Naina Yeltsin: a husband would not forgive, if “Yeltsin Centre” was created as a Grand memorial
Our goal was very simple – to tell the truth about the 90s, about the activities of the first President of Russia at his post. About the reforms and changes that he could implement, and that he couldn’t do. We want to tell you about every important episode in our recent history. Not avoiding the heavy, dramatic moments – the war in Chechnya, the constitutional crisis of autumn 1993, the August default of 1998, etc. During the creation of the Museum we worked with a large team of young designers, media and IT professionals, etc. now, these young guys who in the 90-ies were kids, they looked at us, wide-eyed, and said, is it really so, really this is all you were able to overcome?! So I’m glad our presidential center opens – the first in a series of other presidential centers of Russia.
– Will the Center to break prevailing in society the stereotypes that the 1990s was a period of destruction?
– Of course not. It can not just open in the Moscow Museum of the Gulag to change enthusiastic attitude of a large number of our compatriots to Stalin. The truth about our own history we have to tell the school years. This should be the position of power. But it also needs to be a query of society, as it was in the 90s. Wants it to continue, as during 70 years of Soviet power, to live in imaginary world, with invented myths and heroes. Or still wants to understand what happened to our country, why the huge Russia, who is the greatest hope in the early twentieth century, was the path that ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union in 91-m to year. If we want to understand what happened to us, so we need to know the truth and not continue to feed the myths.
More than 30 thousand exhibits: all about Yeltsin in the first Russian Presidential center
The same about the 90’s. Take the same tragic events 93-go year. What about them is known to the vast majority? Yeltsin brought tanks and firing on Parliament. And why did he do it? Already nobody remembers. The most advanced I can add, that like the deputies tried with arms to seize Ostankino. And the fact that this deepest conflict was laid from the very beginning of the formation of the new Russia when the Soviet Constitution remained, and the country was very different. And that Yeltsin was trying all the time to find a compromise with the Congress. Even after in April ‘ 93, he won the referendum, it was supported by more than 50 percent of the voters, and the Congress are in the minority. His advisers believed that it was at this point with a legislated need popular support to dissolve Congress. And what does Yeltsin? He shall convene the constitutional Council, which must develop a new Constitution of Russia. And invites you to participate in it all the leaders of the Parliament, leaders of all political forces in Russia. I don’t want to retell the story of this crisis, we tell in detail about it in the Museum. I’m just saying, how important it is to know the truth. As far as it is brighter and more interesting lies and fabrications.
– What are the exhibits and installations of the Centre of the most fully up to the task of destroying these myths?
– It deals with the entire Museum, each room, each artifact, each media program. For example, 130 filmed interviews for our Museum. They involve all the protagonists of that time. Assistants and advisors to the President, heads of governments, Ministers, law enforcers, politicians, journalists. Step by step we show the road country from a hungry dilapidated state in December 1991 and it was when Papa left his post, when it created the entire infrastructure of a market economy, banking system, tax and budget. None of this existed when the first President started his work. Everything had to be built from scratch. Passing through the halls of the Museum, the visitor will see, how changed the country, what efforts had to make everyone, who was that time in power, Russia has become just that – a civilized, democratic, market-oriented, open.
– What will You consider a successful result of the work of the Center?
We wish the Center has become a favorite place of citizens. In it’s not just a Museum, it is also the children’s centre, education, archive and library, art gallery, meeting hall, where in addition to lectures, conferences, have the opportunity to view, for example, first a film or a play. The center should become a magnet for young people, it needs to happen events that will attract the brightest and most interesting people in the city. And, of course, we wish here specially came, flew people from all over the country, around the world. To visit the presidential Center of Boris Yeltsin was as important as to visit the Hermitage or the Kremlin.
“Yeltsin Centre”. Dossier