MOSCOW, December 2. A new round of NATO expansion directly affects the interests of Russia and forces it to respond accordingly. This is stated in comments released by the Russian foreign Ministry in connection with the invitation to Montenegro to start accession negotiations with NATO.
The expansion of NATO to the East
“Taken under consideration during the meeting of the NATO Council at the level of foreign Ministers on 1-2 December in Brussels the decision to start negotiations with Montenegro on its accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization as openly confrontational step, fraught with additional destabilizing consequences for the Euro-Atlantic security,” – said in depodesta.
“Contrary to the objective necessity of pairing collective efforts to counter proliferation threats and challenges of modernity and search of joint solutions to improving the situation in the sphere of European security Alliance has once again confirmed the invariability of its course for recklessly expanding their geopolitical space, the artificial division of States into “friends” and “foes”, the promotion of ideas about its own security at the expense of security of others,” stressed the Russian foreign Ministry.
The response of Russia
Earlier in the day the President’s press Secretary Dmitry Peskov said that the invitation to NATO Montenegro will lead to retaliatory steps from Russia.
At multiple levels, always Moscow, it was noted that the continued expansion of NATO military infrastructure of NATO to the East, of course, can not but lead to retaliatory action from the East, i.e., Russia in the interests of security and the maintenance of the parity of interests
press Secretary of the President of the Russian Federation
Spokesman, however, called it premature to talk about specific responses.
A Kremlin spokesman also urged “to assume that the President (of Russia) his point of view on this matter has not yet been announced”. “Let’s not wait for the experts, and official statements”, – said Dmitry Peskov.
The appeal of deputies of the state Duma
On 20 November, the state Duma adopted an appeal to the Montenegrin Assembly, parliaments of NATO countries and OSCE PA with an appeal not to involve Montenegro in the Alliance.
Kelin: the accession of Montenegro to NATO will strengthen European security
Prime Minister of Montenegro has called a historic moment, the invitation to NATO
To look for ways of cooperation, not confrontation: the new plans of NATO and Moscow’s reaction
Deputies with the assurance of respect for the sovereign right of each state to ensure the safety of its citizens, intend, however, to indicate that the “cluster approach, the involvement of new States, especially against the will of their peoples, military alliances are political tools of the “cold war”. “The desire of the regime of Milo đukanović, Montenegro’s ruling for 25 years, to join NATO against the will of the vast majority of the people of this country”, – underlined in the text of the appeal.
About the beginning of the process of accession of Montenegro to NATO
The foreign Ministers of the countries participating in NATO on 2 December at the summit in Brussels was officially invited Montenegro to begin accession negotiations with the Alliance, which, presumably, will last one and a half to two years.
Montenegro joined the NATO program “Partnership for peace” in Confederation with Serbia in 2003. In 2006, after declaring its independence it has confirmed the participation in this program. In 2009 she received the action Plan on membership in NATO.
© EPA PHOTO BELGA/BENOIT DOPPAGNE, archive
The reaction of the Russian politicians at the beginning of the process of accession of Montenegro to NATO