Sands: the Russian-Turkish summit, which is scheduled for December has been canceled

Sands: the Russian-Turkish summit, which is scheduled for December has been canceled


MOSCOW, December 14. Russian-Turkish summit, which is scheduled for December in St. Petersburg, canceled, told reporters the President’s press Secretary Dmitry Peskov.

“No, it (the summit) will not, it is not planned”, – said the representative of the Kremlin.

See also

The head of Rossotrudnichestvo announced the cancellation of the Russian-Turkish forum

Earlier that the Russia-Turkey forum cancelled, informed the head of Rossotrudnichestvo Lyubov Glebova. “I am the cochairman of the Russian-Turkish forum, – she reminded. – Public formats, usually preceded meetings of heads of state, and such a forum was scheduled for December”. According to her, the panel will take place once held such a meeting. “However, this does not mean that we turn off or reduce Turkish-Russian relations”, – said the head of the Agency.

According to Glebova, the most important thing is relationships between people that develop historically. “The political situation does not change the base of Russian-Turkish relations, – she said. The more that these relations are traditionally friendly and stable”.

Glebova recalled that in 2014, the event was opened in Ankara of the Russian centre of science and culture, which works successfully. “However we have many plans in the framework of the public Russian-Turkish forum, she added. And I hope for his fruitful work in the future.”

At the end of November Sands has told the media that the event has not officially cancelled. “No, the situation is not cleared up. Officially no cancellations so far. But now hanging in the air, many questions about the possibility of holding this event. But I must stress that the cancellation yet,” – said the then representative of the Kremlin.

The cause of the crisis in relations between Russia and Turkey was the incident that occurred on November 24, when the Turkish air force shot down a Russian military aircraft.

The attack on the Russian su-24M and its consequences

November 24, fighter from the Turkish air force F-16 shot down Russian bomber su-24M, which, according to Ankara, had violated the country’s airspace near the border with Syria.

In response, the defense Ministry said the su-24M was in the skies over Syria and crossed the border by the Turkish aircraft. The crew of the downed bomber managed to eject, however, commander Oleg Peshkov was killed by ground fire. Navigator Konstantin Muratina saved the Russian military and taken to a Russian base. During the operation to evacuate the pilots of the su-24M was lost helicopter Mi-8. In the death of a marine-contract employee Alexander Pozynich.

Putin called the attack a Turkish air force aircraft of the Russian Federation, who participated in anti-terrorist operations in Syria and did not pose a threat to Turkey, “the stab in the back” of Russia.

The Russian head of state on 28 November signed a decree on the temporary ban from 1 January 2016 to hire workers from among the citizens of Turkey. With the new year also suspends the agreement with Turkey on visa-free regime. A ban or restriction on the import into Russia of certain goods from Turkey (the list will be determined by the government). In addition, it is not recommended to tour operators to sell trips to Turkey. The government was instructed to strengthen control over the activities of the Turkish road carriers on the territory of Russia in order to ensure security.