The Deputy Minister of foreign Affairs of Russia in interview has told about the expectations from the presidential elections in the USA, the implementation of start-3 and the outcomes of the Russian presidency in BRICS.
– This week, 10 February, marks the diplomatic worker’s Day. Do you remember when you decided to become a diplomat, why did you choose exactly this profession?
– Regarding the work of the foreign Ministry and diplomatic activities in General, perhaps there is such a thing as a call of the heart. I can say without exaggeration that interested in international issues at school, always tried to do. At the time, was a form of political information – in the framework of extra-curricular activities students with an interest in this or that direction of public life, collecting materials, sharing them with classmates.
Russian diplomacy: from povety to departments
Besides, back then I joined international club in the Palace of pioneers. Since then I have never had any thoughts to break away from international Affairs and I am happy that in the end I was able to turn this hobby into my profession. Perhaps we can compare this to how now many young people addicted to computers and eventually go on to practice IT on professional level.
Of course, very much gave me the years of study at MGIMO. This is an outstanding in all respects the University, the Alma mater, which gives an array of not just knowledge but skills, attitudes, necessary to diplomatic activity. I ended economic faculty MGIMO, but the universality of education in this University allows you to engage in diplomacy, regardless of specialization.
– Tell, please, what moments during your work in the MFA do you remember most: the most difficult situations, difficult conversations or maybe the opposite of funny moments?
For these thirty years passed much. Worked in the foreign Ministry is not only involved in the negotiations, it is largely the management of information. A significant part of our activities is providing of foreign policy leadership of our country.
Of course, a lot of attention has to be paid to the contacts with colleagues from different departments and with foreign partners. This is determined by the range of responsibilities that are clearly defined on all the steps of the diplomatic ladder, for all employees of the Ministry of foreign Affairs.
On what borders seem to be the most important, I especially remember the two-month negotiations in 1994 in preparation for the Budapest summit of the OSCE. Then it was made very long documents, decisions, which seemed at that stage, will help to move forward in establishing a new system of European security. It was a serious challenge, even a challenge. There were some very difficult periods and during the period of my participation in the negotiations within the Council of Europe, when I worked in the Department of European cooperation.
Academician Arbatov: the Prague agreement, we remain a nuclear superpower equal to the US
From the point of view of obtaining inner satisfaction, we can highlight the Treaty on the limitation and reduction of strategic offensive arms, 2010. February 5 it was five years from the date of entry into force of this document. The head of our negotiating delegation was Anatoly Antonov, who was directly in Geneva (he is now a Deputy Minister of defense), and I, in my capacity as the Deputy Minister of foreign Affairs, has been monitoring this issue here in Moscow. I can say that the document does not contain a single word, a single letter, for which I personally would be ashamed, or I would have written differently.
There are, of course, and funny episodes. Sometimes the intensity and duration of the negotiations is so great that the people involved in them, over time become somewhat confused about what they said before. Then they have to justify himself, to take his words back. Of course, it becomes an occasion for jokes and banter.
– But hardly it happens with Russian diplomats?
The most important thing in any negotiations – to protect the national interests
– Sometimes all the time to recover. The most important thing in any negotiations – protection of national interests and achievement of results equivalent to those of the directives and instructions received by the delegations to the negotiations.
About the fate of the start-3
– You have mentioned the start-3 Treaty, tell me, how is this document, how it adhere to both sides?
– The contract is very viable, very “downed”, dense and full of energy. Drawing Parallels with mathematics, I can say that for specialists in this field is often the criterion for the correctness of any formula is its beauty. If the mathematician is enjoying the formula means that it’s correct. He feels it intuitively…
– You can say that you admire this Contract?
– I know, it’s just nice to hold in your hand. The text of the Treaty 3 really reflects the balance of interests, strict parity. It’s as accurate Apothecary scales, where the bowls are level, any deviation from this balance is not found.
Work towards the achievement of that agreement prescribed, over all these years is a constructive, business-like. On any segment of the contract we did not have any back thoughts: “we had here to write something different, something to tighten, clean, depravity”.
The text of the Treaty 3 really reflects the balance of interests, strict parity. It’s as accurate Apothecary scales, where the bowls are level, any deviation from this balance there
This does not mean that during the execution of the document may have questions or have any new themes. But the scale of these issues is not comparable with what is written directly in the text. Additional subjects that arise periodically, are developed by the delegations in the framework of the bilateral consultative Commission. Impressions are the funds to be cut, carried out the inspection. From a political point of view it is very important. In the chaos in some regions of the world, instability of international relations in General, to have such an anchor, the stabilizer of relations is useful.
As for the effect of the Treaty in the maintenance of security and stability for all, not only for Russia and the USA, it is important that it provides predictability in this area. We have clear benchmarks that will occur in the area of strategic offensive arms.
– Nevertheless, the Contract was fulfilled in five years. In your opinion, is not whether there is a need to complement this document by any bilateral or multilateral arrangements?
– The Treaty does not require adjustments, I am convinced of it. With regard to the further development of the situation, emphasize that on a bilateral basis with the United States to agree on further reductions in strategic offensive arms and no free. We reached the line, when the number of strategic nuclear means and media is at its lowest level since the late 50’s-early 60-ies.
On a bilateral basis with the United States to agree on further reductions in strategic offensive arms and no
We can not continue to lead the process of reduction, not taking into account the nuclear capabilities of other countries that still remain outside the efforts to reduce nuclear weapons. But there is another point. We cannot fail to take into account all the more disturbing and troubling phenomenon in areas that have an impact on the strategic balance. Well-known Russia’s position regarding the rejection of the us initiative to establish a global missile defence system. This initiative is implemented dynamically, the development in this area is in many regions, including European and Asian, which has a direct relation to the Russian nuclear deterrent.
Very concerned about the increasingly real prospect of strike weapons in outer space. It is not the same that the militarization of space, would like to hold a certain line. The military use of outer space has been practiced by many countries for a very long time in the field of intelligence, communications, track what is happening in various regions of the world.
Experts on start-3: is it possible to force Russia to be flexible
We are talking about the inadmissibility of occurrence in space strike weapons, i.e. tools that could be used to attack space objects of other countries or to launch attacks from space against targets on the ground. Technology is evolving, and this possibility is becoming more real. Before it is too late, you need to create a barrier. In conditions when there is no such limitation is extremely difficult to talk about further reduction of nuclear weapons, they have played a Central role from the point of view of deterrence of any potential aggressor.
There are other issues that we can no longer “forget”. It is known to US efforts in the field of high-precision tools in non-nuclear, conventional equipment, but which can be applied at the strategic range. There is the concept of “global Lightning strike”, has its variations. Appears many “novelties” in the field of conventional weapons. There are other factors in this complex equation of strategic stability, without which organized and practicing, it would be irresponsible to talk about the prospects of further nuclear arms reductions.
I think our colleagues in Washington and other capitals will gradually come to understand that Russia, putting the question in such a plane, tries to create artificial obstacles for the work and demonstrates responsible, the only possible approach to the problems of security and maintaining global stability.
On elections in the U.S. and sanctions against Russia
– Ahead of the presidential elections in the United States. Can the coming to power of this or that candidate to cause a change in foreign policy course of Washington? Does the Russian side, expectations of improvement or, on the contrary, the deterioration of bilateral relations, depending on the outcome of the elections?
Presidential elections in the United States. Dossier
– Regardless of who is at the helm in Washington (this applies to the current administration), the only key to improvement of relations with us is the refusal of the United States attempts to act to the detriment of the interests of Russia, showing willingness to follow the basic principles of equality, respect for sovereignty and sovereign equality of States, ignoring the principle of non-interference in internal Affairs, on the contrary, interfering in the internal Affairs of Russia, sometimes glaringly, and in General behaving as if the U.S. is a separate political category, which is “by birth” has more rights, than other members of the international community.
I don’t think someone from candidates on a post of the President of the United States is ready to abandon the concept of American exceptionalism
I don’t think someone from candidates on a post of the President of the United States is ready to abandon the concept of American exceptionalism. We know that this ideology permeate all of American society, especially the elite, i.e. those sectors where candidates are nominated for the highest Executive post in the United States.
Any sudden change for the better after the elections in the U.S. I do not expect force in American mentality. But, ultimately, perhaps, there is a chance that those who will replace the current administration, will be able to make apparent to us the conclusion that the language of political dictatorship or sanctions push Russia to say it is futile and useless. Under pressure from Russia is growing. The foreign policy of our country is active, in my estimation, attractive. Many in the world are following with interest the current foreign policy of Moscow.
Under pressure from Russia is growing
Even without abandoning its “inherent” ideology of American exceptionalism, political figures that stand at the head of the U.S. after the upcoming November elections, perhaps, can correct the current course and try, in their own interest, to find common ground with Russia. There are many problems that cannot be solved in isolation. Only collective efforts, the search for compromises and balance of interests can bring positive results.
– You touched upon the topic of sanctions pressure. How long, in your opinion, will last sanctions from the United States? The EU now more and more voices are raised in favour of ending the sanctions policy against Moscow. Is there anything in the short term, any conditions for the lifting of sanctions by the US?
– Would, of course, what would these European votes and was followed by a European decision. But we don’t have a dialogue about the options for the lifting of sanctions, there is simply no subject for dialogue.
All sanctions of the West against Russia
Sanctions imposed by the EU and the USA, and more specifically the EU with the filing of the U.S., because America is a “generator of ideas” in this area and continuously strives to build Europeans in single file, these unilateral sanctions, first, contradict the fundamentals of the international legal system, they are illegitimate, and second, we deny and reject the very logic behind the sanctions policy. We are trying to offer to implement some changes in our line in exchange for relief or the lifting of sanctions. But the requirements that we put forward, has nothing in common with reality.
Requirements full implementation of the “Minsk-2” in the interest of full settlement in South-Eastern Ukraine must be addressed not Moscow, and Kiev. These people in the US and the EU barking up the wrong tree. By virtue of aberration of his own political vision knocking on the wrong door, not calling on the phone and write wrong address on their emails. When they getting it all from us back, finally, understand where this question should be addressed, then it will probably go easier with the implementation of “Minsk-2”. But I have to disappoint you, I think, and then in Washington will be “bright minds”, which is head and share thousands of other criteria and reasons that sanctions do not cancel.
Calculations in us dollars – is the hook that impaled the economy of the world
I assume that the us sanctions for a long time. We need to use the situation to reduce the dependency of certain sectors of our economy from the U.S. financial and settlement systems. We must use this time to find ways of weakening the dependence of the global system from the us dollar. Calculations in us dollars – is the hook that impaled the economy of the world.
Sergei Ivanov: the use by some countries of the “law of the jungle” in world Affairs is dangerous
At the whim of people who are somewhere ten thousand miles don’t like something, can create problems, which nobody expects, which seemed impossible to those who believe in the conversations about free enterprise and the inviolability of private property, that is, in all those conversations, which for years and decades proyavlyayutsya American ideologues. Here we see an obvious inconsistency between the phraseology, covering a description of the basis of American society and the success of the American economy, is absolutely arbitrary and politicized approach to this area from the point of view of geopolitical interests of the U.S., including the implementation of destructive purposes in relations with countries that are not ready to bow to American diktat.
About the results of Russia’s chairmanship in the BRICS
– This month, February 15th, ends the presidency of Russia in BRICS. How do you assess its results, what results managed to achieve the unification during this period?
– Now we prepare in the coming days will release, including in the electronic media, final report of the Russian presidency, a collection of everything that has been made – activities, initiatives that have received support and now be the subject of further work during the period Indian and Chinese next to the chair.
The expansion of the SCO, the BRICS ‘ financial institutions and other results of the summits in Ufa
Overall satisfied with how was the “year of Russia” in the BRICS. Not only thanks to the agreements reached and practical results, but primarily because it is the Union once again proved its viability and relevance.
Now, especially in the West, a lot of speculation that the economic dynamics of some of the members of the BRICS exhausted that the Association “not what it used to”. I want to say that my critical comments are the best indication of the importance of the BRICS, the importance of this structure for international relations. If this were not so, the BRICS would have ignored, and wouldn’t try to present its state in a critical way.
If something does not have the stigma of “made in the West” – this obviously causes suspicion and rejection
Here again manifests a “complex” of our opponents – they can’t perceive something that does not fit into their own ideas or developed their patterns of international relations. If something does not have the stigma of “made in the West” – this obviously causes suspicion and rejection. Separatenot the mentality of these critics so disproportionate that nothing but a smile, can not cause. People who are ready to perceive today’s multipolar world, needs to calm attitude to phenomena such as the BRICS.
“Anti” in the BRICS is not present, it is always “about”, not “contra”, this is not a geopolitical counterweight to anything or anyone
In BRICS, there is nothing that could be put as “anti-Western” orientation of this Association. Generally “anti” in the BRICS is not present, it is always “about”, not “contra”, this is not a geopolitical counterweight to anything or anyone. This approach is shared by all members of the Association. We are United with the Indian presidency, which will certainly infuse the work of the BRICS, many new paints in the economic, political and cultural-humanitarian spheres. Don’t want to speak for Indian colleagues, it’s unethical, but we know that they are very creative and deep with his presidency.
Each cycle enriches the presidency of the BRICS strengthens its Foundation, and the building is built on. I am sure that it will. Unity is a multiplier of national interests when the country is well aware of what they want to achieve from their cooperation. Collective work increases the chances of implementation of ideas. We appreciate it. We will continue to work in this way.
– Will there be implemented the project of the energy Association of BRICS countries and what are its benefits?
– First of all, we are grateful to the Ministry of energy carried out dynamically for the period of the Russian chairmanship is the Ministerial meeting was held, was put forward interesting ideas. The event for energy efficiency, exchange of best practices in this area.
Energy Association of the BRICS, in my opinion, a very promising issue. In conditions when the volatility in the energy markets as high as ever, there is a need for increased joint efforts to stabilize the situation in this area by many States. Energy Association, should certainly be in demand.
We are now in the phase of dialogue with colleagues from all relevant agencies of the BRICS countries. The Ministry of foreign Affairs, as before, will support politically and practically important initiative of our energy sector and the Ministry of energy.
Interviewed By Maria Glushkova