USA urges Russia to help stop the offensive by the forces of President Bashar al-Assad in Aleppo, warning that the actions of the government forces to put an end to the truce, which lasted for almost seven weeks. This writes Bloomberg referring to a source in the U.S. Department of state.
According to the source, the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama expressed serious concern that Russia, which previously pledged not to participate in the attacks on groups that agreed to the ceasefire. According to the source, Moscow has also agreed to use their influence to stop Assad’s forces from such actions.
The Agency said that last Friday in Geneva, the leaders of Syrian opposition groups announced that a large-scale offensive of Assad to the South of Aleppo. In their opinion the actions of the Syrian troops violate the cease fire. The faction leaders said that they face attacks from three sides — from the side of Russia supported Assad’s forces, Kurdish fighters and militants of the “Islamic state” (organization banned in Russia).
The Russian defense Ministry last week said that no storming of Aleppo are planned. At the same time, as he told the chief of the Main operations Directorate of the General staff Sergey rudskoy, “it is known that the planned large-scale offensive to cut the road linking Aleppo with Damascus.”
He added that in the South and the North of Aleppo, intense fighting are banned militants “dzhebhat EN-Nusra”, which have managed to capture some settlements. “Therefore, all actions of Syrian troops and the Russian air force are aimed at disrupting the plans of the armed gangs “dzhebhat EN-Nusra”. Any assault on the city Aleppo is not planned”, — noted rudskoy.
According to the defense Ministry of Russia in Aleppo were concentrated about 10 thousand fighters of the organization.