The Prosecutor General’s office proposes to allow regional prosecutors to block websites with information about preparation of mass riots without a court order. This was reported on Wednesday the Prosecutor General Yuri Chaika, speaking at the government hour in the state Duma.
According to him, the Prosecutor General’s office has prepared the relevant amendments to the legislation with the support of deputies and senators. “We insist on a court similar to the already existing procedure of the prohibition of incitement to extremism, which will allow to react operatively to the offense” — he explained.
Now the power to apply to Roskomnadzor with the requirement to close access sites have only the Prosecutor General and his deputies. The problem is that until the required documents are received from the field, “time for preventing illegal actions can be missed”, the explanation of Seagulls. “We offer to provide prosecutors of constituent entities the right to appeal to Roskomnadzor for amicable termination of access to information about the organization of mass riots and public actions”, — said the Prosecutor General.
“We found support from a number of state Duma deputies and Federation Council members of the necessity of implementing these initiatives and legislative proposals prepared, which will present”, — said Chaika.
The law on blocking of information containing appeals to mass riots and participation in extremist activities, was adopted in 2013. Previously to deny access to this website, the providers were required by the court. According to the accepted law, Roskomnadzor is obliged to do so with the submission of the Prosecutor General. Later the right to file such a request regarding the information containing the characteristics of the call to extremism, were endowed with regional prosecutors.