USA 17 Jun expelled two Russian diplomats, told reporters on 8 July, U.S. state Department spokesman John Kirby. According to him, in this step the American government took in response to the attack on a U.S. diplomat at the Embassy in Moscow.
“June 17, we sent two Russian officials from the United States in response to the attack” — quoted John Kirby Reuters. According to the Agency, the state Department spokesman refused to provide more details on the expulsion of Russians.
Previously Kirby reported that on 6 June the Russian police attacked an accredited U.S. diplomat while trying to enter the building of the American Embassy in Moscow. “This action was not provoked by anything and jeopardize the safety of our officers,” he said.
That at the entrance of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow was an assault on a member of the state Department, the newspaper reported the Washington Post. The publication points out that an American diplomat was attacked by an undercover FSB officer. The Russian foreign Ministry issued an official statement which said that “there was an attack on performing his duties as a police officer, as confirmed by video surveillance cameras, which have long been transferred to the state Department”.
Official representative of Russian foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova claimed that involved in the incident the diplomat was a CIA officer.
Later, two us officials confirmed to The Washington Post that the incident at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow really was a spy, working under cover. According to them, he tried to take refuge in the Embassy to avoid being detained by Russian special services.