13 people were released from the secret prison of the security Service of Ukraine”, according to international human rights organizations Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch in a press release. They were released shortly after Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch in a joint report dated July 21, “You do not exist: Arbitrary detention, enforced disappearances and torture in Eastern Ukraine” came to the conclusion that the Ukrainian authorities, as well as Pro-Russian separatists, engaged in torture and secret detention in the course of the conflict in the Donbass, said in a press release.
Mostly the detainees are in prison in Kharkiv, the SBU, it follows from the July report of the organizations. According to them, in the Ukraine, including the Donbass, there are other “secret prisons”. The Ukrainian authorities the existence of such prisons deny.
After the publication of the report of chief military Prosecutor of Ukraine Anatoly Matios met with representatives of human rights organizations. Matios promised that military prosecutors to objectively inspect each mentioned in the case study and give them a rating.
The presence in Ukraine of secret places of detention was confirmed by UN data.
According to human rights watch, July 25 from Kharkiv SBU was released six people, August 2 — seven more, among them one woman.
Representatives of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch was able to establish contact with seven of the recently released, and five were interviewed. The number of released Nicholas Vakaruk and Victor ashikhin. Both disappeared in December of 2014 from Ukrainian in Donetsk region, controlled by Ukrainian forces, and released in one day, July 25. Ashikin told Amnesty International that within a 597-day long illegal detention, he was transferred three times to different objects in order to hide the fact of his detention by independent observers. When released, the guards returned the detainees passports and were given 50-200 UAH ($2-10) “transport costs”.
According to human rights activists, at least five people remain in the secret prison, two of them are citizens of Russia.
Russian Vladimir Bezobrazov was arrested during a family holiday in Karolino-Bugaz, Odessa region in may 2014. The disappearance of Bezobrazov know the Russian foreign Ministry. The official representative of the foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova in December last year, said he was kidnapped and set its location to the Russian authorities is not possible. According to human rights activists, it is contained in the Kharkov SBU podrazdelenii.