- Adulyadej was born in the United States, and educated at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland.
- Adulyadej became king of Thailand at the age of 19, after the suicide of his older brother. The suicide caused a lot of rumors, including about the involvement Adulyadej. Discuss the version of death different from the official one in Thailand is prohibited.
- The king was the reigning (68 years old) monarch in the world.
- The king held in a Buddhist monastery 15 days and became a monk after the death of his grandmother Queen Savang of Wathena, as tradition dictates.
- During his reign the text of the Constitution of Thailand has changed 17 times.
Photo: David Longstreath/AP
- Insulting the king and members of the Royal family in Thailand is a criminal offense and shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term from 3 to 15 years.
- From 2005 to 2010, the number of cases of “lese majeste” increased 95 times.
- The victory of the athlete from Thailand Somjit Jongjohor at the Olympics in Beijing was devoted to the king.
- In 2013, Thailand has been the most massive in the new Millennium unrest. A truce between supporters of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition was signed on 5 December 2013, the birthday of the king, out of respect to the monarch.
- The last few years, Bhumibol Adulyadej was confined to a hospital bed and left the hospital Siriraj only on 5 December, the day of his birth to address the nation. During these years the hospital was organized by his temporary residence.