The defense Ministry denied information about the death in the area of the Syrian city of Latakia, five Russian servicemen as a result of blasting of the car. This was stated by official representative of the Ministry major-General Igor Konashenkov.
“All Russian military personnel in the Syrian Arab Republic, alive, healthy and continue to carry out tasks on purpose,” he said (quoted by “Interfax”).
According to Konashenkov, these messages are “the next information spreading” and “fake”.
Earlier on Sunday, 5 February, the TV channel Al Jazeera, citing sources in the Syrian opposition reported that a Russian military vehicle carrying ammunition, exploded on the road between the cities of Jableh and Baniyas. Victims of the explosion were five Russian military, said the channel.
According to sources close to Al Jazeera by the Syrian authorities, the incident was the result of technical problems. The parties have excluded the possibility of a terrorist attack. According to them, the Syrian military has cordoned off the scene and together with the representatives of Russia are investigating the incident.