Moscow. July 21. INTERFAX.RU Former head of ExxonMobil, Rex Tillerson, head of the state Department, as promised, no contact with this company
Washington. July 20. INTERFAX – the Decision of the office for foreign assets control of the U.S. Treasury (OFAC) fined ExxonMobil’s agreement with Rosneft was prepared without the participation of the state Department, said on Thursday the representative of the foreign Ministry Heather Nauert.
“The state Department was not involved in that, as announced by the Ministry of Finance. It was the initiative solely of the Ministry of Finance,” she said at a briefing in Washington.
Answering questions about what the position on this decision of the Secretary of state Rex Tillerson, who was a former head of ExxonMobil, Nauert noted that “today for you no comments”. In addition, she stressed that Rex W. Tillerson since, when he headed the state Department comply with its commitment on refusal from contacts with his former company.
Detailed comments on the decision on the penalty, the representative of the state Department was advised to request the Ministry of Finance or ExxonMobil.
Earlier in the Russian office ExxonMobil has informed “Interfax” that at the conclusion of agreements with “Rosneft” in 2014, the company acted on clear instructions of the White House and U.S. Treasury Department. Therefore, the company believes the penalty OFAC for these agreements to be unfounded.
ExxonMobil emphasizes that concluded these agreements with the President of Rosneft (MOEX: ROSN) and not personally by Igor Sechin.
As reported, OFAC fined ExxonMobil $2 million for violating the sanctions regime. According to the Department, in the period from 14 to 23 may 2014, the company signed eight documents with Sechin, who is in the black list OFAC.
The us sectoral sanctions imposed in 2014, prohibit the transfer of Russia’s advanced technologies, including those associated with offshore drilling.