The UN, 5 February. /Corr. Oleg Zelenin/. Permanent representative of the Russian Federation to the UN Vitaly Churkin believes the accusations against the Russian Federation in the failure of the negotiations on Syria a sign of bad taste and calls for intensified joint political efforts. He said this to journalists, going to a closed meeting of the Security Council on Syria.
Russia’s permanent representative in the suspension of inter-Syrian negotiations the guilty opposition from Riyadh
“It’s bad taste. Now is not the time for recriminations. Need to intensify joint political efforts. They have to accuse those who support terrorists,” – said the diplomat.
Previously based in Riyadh, the Syrian opposition, as well as a number of countries, including the United Kingdom and France partly responsible for the postponement of the start of negotiations on Russia, accusing it of increasing the intensity of airstrikes. “This is not escalation from Russia. This intensification of efforts of the Syrian government against the terrorists. Some of the besieged areas have been liberated in the last days,” – said the diplomat.
Russia’s permanent representative expressed the hope that the talks on Syria will be able to start until February 25 – the time limited by the special UN envoy Staffan de Mistura.
The Syrian conflict and the main stages of its settlement
In turn, British Ambassador Matthew Rycroft was critical of the words of Churkin.
“This is the expected statement, isn’t it? He needs to look in the mirror and understand who is responsible,” he said.
As stated by Raycroft, for the resumption of negotiations necessary measures for confidence-building, including an end to aerial barbarbarbar, as well as full humanitarian access to the population, including besieged areas.
“Foreign intervention would exacerbate the conflict”
Foreign military intervention in Syria will exacerbate conflict in the Arab country, also said Churkin, commenting on the request messages on the preparation of Saudi Arabia and Turkey for a possible invasion of Syria.
“Foreign intervention will definitely exacerbate the conflict, so I hope that this theoretical stuff, which is sometimes expressed in the media,” he said.
Defense Ministry: Turkish artillery shelled Syrian territory
On Thursday, the official representative of the defense Ministry Igor Konashenkov stated suspicions that Ankara can prepare an invasion in Syria. In response that “Russia’s approach provokes laughter”. He accused Russia of involvement in the death of 400 thousand people during the conflict in Syria and the occupation of its territory.
On the same day, Advisor to the Minister of defence Sadouskaya Arabia announced that Riyadh is “ready for a ground operation as part of an international coalition in Syria led by the United States.” Statement of the Saudi military commander was heard next day after the suspension of inter-Syrian negotiations in Geneva under the auspices of the UN.